Tuesday, June 9, 2009

AKA Flapjack and Fred??? Not so much...

"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways." - Ps.139:1-3 (NIV)

I have a new nickname. Since I actually am called most of the time by a nickname given me as a newborn, I don't have a problem with gaining a new one. My first husband used to call me, "Hummy" (and I called him, "Bear.") I call my second husband, "HH." I've forever been known as Ms. Bitsy or Ms. Bits to my friends and their children. But this name is entirely different. I have newly been christened "Flapjack." Yes, you read correctly. "Flapjack."

My new name was given to me by a fourth grade boy sitting in front of me in the VBS Worship Rally yesterday. This kid was an active little boy... all boy... and liked to talk. You know the type. Outgoing. Likes to stir up trouble but not in a bad way... He turned around to my friend and asked her, "Do you know my name?" I didn't know the young man at all but quickly decided he was the type of kid I could have some real fun with... so I just grinned, elbowed my buddy and said, "Looks like a Fred to me!" Of course, the group of boys sitting around him starting giggling and he said, "No. Guess again." So I quipped, "Well... I was gonna say, 'Hubert' but I decided that you don't really look like a 'Hubert'. Nope. You're definitely a Fred! I'm gonna call you Fred all week!"

He said, "Then I'm gonna call you, 'Flapjack!!!!' Well... what's good for the goose is good for the gander, so I agreed...

This marked the beginning of a beautiful friendship. We've seen one another in the hallways, in classrooms, outside, in crafts... Pretty much everywhere... And each time, we greet one another with an exuberant "Howdy, Flapjack!" or a "Hey, Fred!", followed by a high-five. And we've ended each day with goodbyes...

Since I'm not a mom, I don't often spend time with the kids at church, unless they happen to be taking music lessons from me or I know their parents. So, I am doubting that any of those boys actually know my true name. No, I will likely affectionately always be remembered by them, henceforth and forever more as simply, "Flapjack."

Have you ever worn so many names that you run into an identity crisis of sorts? You are Mom to your children, Mrs. (insert your name here) to your child's teacher, the doctor, the dentist, and everywhere formal. You may wear any number of affectionate names. You may even have a special name for the hats you wear in your family... sister, aunt, grandma.... You may wear the name "Boss" at work. And some days, things can just be so crazy that you don't have a clue as to what your name is because you are wearing fifteen different hats all at once!

But one thing that we never have to concern ourselves with is whether God knows our name. The One who built and specifically designed every atom of every cell in our bodies knows every hair on every head. He knows all about the way that we walk, how we think, what we had for breakfast, and what we are doing at every single second of every single day. Yes, The One who created the Universe is the Same One Who designed blue, green, hazel, brown, black and golden eyes and placed them in the sockets of every child on the planet.... specially crafted for each and every one of us.

Make no mistake... our Heavenly Daddy knows our names! He even knows the exact moment that we took our first breath because He planned it before the foundation of the world.

And no matter what name the world may call us, regardless of the roles we play in this life, if we belong to Jesus, we have a special name that He has given us to wear... His very own. His name is the Name above all Names. It breaks the power of canceled sin and it sets the captive free! There is no name under Heaven or earth whereby men might be saved. (Acts 4:12)

And He has graciously given it to us.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Flapjack! Bitsy, I've just sat down to read your blog and want to tell you how much I am enjoying it so far. You have indeed turned mourning into dancing. You are a bright light and true child of God. I've always known you were special! Thanks for being you and sharing your inspirational thoughts with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Celeste for taking the time to read my blog and for your encouraging words! I am really enjoying writing... It has been a great outlet for me to share my faith, and to tell stories of how God has moved in my own life, as well as to encourage others. :)

    I have been humbled and amazed at the number of folks who have been reading and just how much God is using this to reach folks. It has just been terrific!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bitsy, this one is precious and so true. I was just reading in 1 Samuel this morning about Hannah naming God as "the One who sees me." I love that! He most definitely is the One who sees us, knows us and loves us. Isn't that wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...